Please enter a search term to begin your search.
Old Main - Built in 1899, Old Main was the first building on the Finlandia University campus. Finnish immigrants designed the building after the Romanesque style using red sandstone from nearby quarries. For nearly forty years, Old Main housed the entire college, including classrooms, dormitories, administrative offices, living quarters for the president, a library, chapel, kitchen, dining room, and laundry facilities. Today, administrative offices such as Financial Aid, Admissions, and the Office of Student Accounts are located in the building. In 1991 Old Main was designated a State of Michigan Historic Site.
The Jutila Center Campus - Finlandia's Jutila Center, located on the banks of Portage Waterway less than a mile from the main campus, was opened in 2005. Formerly a hospital, the renovated building now houses Finlandia's International School of Art & Design (ISAD) and the Lily I. Jutila Center for Global Design and Business (CGDB). ISAD students enjoy spacious, modern studios and classrooms. The Jutila Center houses a small-business incubator and other resources for businesses, including design and business consulting, rapid prototyping, and training seminars.
The Finnish American Heritage Center - Renovated in 1990, Finlandia University's Finnish American Heritage Center (FAHC) houses a theater, art gallery, historical archive, museum, family history center, and the offices of the Finnish American Reporter, a monthly English-language journal for Finnish Americans. The FAHC is a community focal point, offering a variety of exhibits, lectures, plays, musical programs, and community events year-round. The building is a popular stop for tourists. The FAHC also hosts community enrichment programming, such as courses to learn the Finnish language and Finland's official music instrument, the kantele. The FAHC links the Finnish-American community - through history, tradition, and mission - to Finland and Finns everywhere. Regular FAHC patrons include students, researchers, genealogists, scholars, and dignitaries. It provides an excellent resource for Finnish and local history research. The Archive and Museum collect and display documents, photos, and artifacts related to the Finnish and Finnish-American experience, including folk costumes, musical instruments, and contemporary paintings and art glass. Established in 1932, the archive contains the largest collection of Finnish American materials in North America. It includes items that are centuries old, including one of the first Bibles printed in the Finnish language, dating to 1642. All of the archive items are housed in a climate-controlled environment.
Vaino & Judith Hoover Center - The Hoover Center is a three story Victorian-style house built in 1895. The university acquired the home in 1979, naming it for Board of Trustees member Vaino Hoover and his wife, Judith, whose generosity made the purchase possible. The Hoover Center houses the offices of the President, Institutional Advancement, Alumni Relations, and Communications.
Mannerheim Hall - Mannerheim Hall is named for Carl Gustaf Mannerheim, president of Finland from 1944 to 1946. Built in 1965, the building was originally a student center and residence hall but has since been renovated to house classrooms, faculty offices, the university registrar's office, and a cafeteria.
Finlandia Hall - Finlandia Hall is the university's co-ed residence hall. Built in the mid-1980s, the four-story building can accommodate more than 180 students. Rooms are organized suite-style, with four students sharing two bedrooms and a bath. A snack and recreation area, student lounges, and laundry facilities are all located in Finlandia Hall.
Kivi House/North Wind Books - Kivi House, built in the mid- to late-1880s, was originally the rectory for an adjacent Catholic church (now the Finnish American Heritage Center). Today, Kivi House is home to North Wind Books, the university's bookstore and gift shop.
Chapel of St. Matthew - Completed in February 2000, the Chapel of St. Matthew offers students a quiet place for meditation and reflection. Worship services are held twice weekly during the fall and spring semesters. The chapel is also used for campus gatherings and public events. The lower level of the chapel houses the Campus Ministry Center and the university chaplain's office.
Sulo and Aileen Maki Library - Maki Library provides a comfortable and inviting space for research, study, and reading. In 1977 a gift from Mrs. Aileen Maki made it possible to enlarge and renovate the library. The 12,100 square foot library has varied seating, computers with Internet access for student use, a computer lab/classroom and a conference room. The library's collections include approximately 44,000 books, 300 periodical titles, videos, DVDs, CDs, and other audiovisual materials. Laptops, projectors, and other AV items and equipment are available for short-term use. The library supports a regional on-line catalog, over 13,000 electronic books, and many specialized on-line library databases. Students may also borrow materials from libraries throughout Michigan using an interlibrary loan system. Library staff conduct tours and present informational sessions to introduce students to the library and teach library and information literacy skills. Library staff also provide one-on-one information gathering guidance to students.