Please enter a search term to begin your search.
Genealogy Indices and Links
Funeral Home Records
Books and Other Indices
- Finnish American Historical Society of Hiawathaland Membership Forms (Iron County, Mich.)
- 'Finnish Settlement of Brown and Dickey Counties, North and South Dakota'
- Knights of Kaleva Membership Books Index
- F.F.S.C.G.L.M.R. Oral History Collection
- Hirvonen, Juuso: 'Michiganin Kuparialue'
- Holmio, Armas K.E.: 'History of Finns In Michigan'
- Holmio Biogrpahical File
- Ilmonen, S.: 'Amer. Suomalainen His. Vol. II'
- John A. Doelle Agricultural School, Tapiola, Mich., school newspaper 1931-1932
- Mattinen, J.A.: 'History of Thomson Township, Carlton County, Minn.'
- Nikander Werner: 'Amerikan Suomalaisia'
- Petroskoi 1931 American Finns
- Ruohonen, Jack: 'History of Oskar, Mich.'
- Suomi College: First 25 years, student list
Scanned Genealogy Books and Manuscripts
Palosaari-Luukonen Family History
This 487 page manuscript was written and compiled by R. Henry Palosaari (completed in 2003) and centers around the Palosaari family of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, many of whom are descended from Aatami and Maria Palosaari of Taivalkoski, Finland. The above .pdf file contains 227 pages of the manuscript, as pages with information on living persons were redacted. The text also contains a personal account of growing up in the Old Colony and Trap Rock areas near Calumet, Mich.
Name Index to Photograph Collection
Index includes the Old Topical File and the 1910 Knights of Kaleva Convention photograph and photos from the book Tervehdys Suomelle, published in Brooklyn, N.Y. in 1920.
Subscription service. Contains Census Records, Military Records, and Canadian Entry Records (very useful in Finnish research), and others. Available for free use at Mormon Family History Centers, as well as some public libraries, but very few university libraries.
- Family History Library Catalog
LDS Microfilm catalog search (many of the Finnish films are also held by the Finnish American Historical Archive)
- Finnish Family History Association
- Church books, including Communion Books (rippikirjat) online
- Finnish Genealogy Group of Minnesota
- Heritage Quest
Subscription service (freely available on most university computers and public library workstations), contains Census Records.
- The Genealogical Society of Finland
- Hiski Project - online search of church records
- The Institute of Migration, Turku, Finland
Translations of given names and other abbreviations used in church records: Finnish - English - Swedish
- Library of Congress: Historic American Newspapers
- Michigan Naturalization Overview
From the Archives of Michigan
- Michigan Oral History Database
- Michigan Technological University Archives & Copper Country Historical Collections
- Cemetery Transcriptions
- New England Historic Genealogical Society
Research the Massachusetts Finns
- Northern Europe U.S. Army AMS Topographic Maps.
Maps date from ca. 1940 and show Finnish homesteads.
- Polk Directories online via Google Books:
- Glocuester and Rockport (Cape Ann), Mass. 1882-1883
- Houghton County, Mich. 1916-1917
- Marquette County, Mich. 1895-1896
- Worcester County, Mass. 1920
- Seeking Michigan
Impressive collection of death records and other Michigan documents.